An apple a day to keep the doctor away: truth or myth?
We have all heard the popular expression: “An apple a day, from the doctor will keep you away.” You probably don’t know it but it is a phrase that it has a lot of historysince it was announced in the year 1913 y was based on a a Pembrokeshire proverb which originated in 1866.
It became so popular in large part because it was first published in the magazine Notes and Querieswho used the title: Eat an apple before going to bed and you’ll save the doctor from earning his bread. The truth is that over the years it has become a widely used expression, to emphasize how healthy the habit of eating apples is. The reality is that every day we have more studies and references that endorse the benefits of apples. Although according to the investigation eat more apples actually not associated con fewer visits to the doctorintegrating the consumption of apples into the diet can help improve various aspects of health.
The good news is that today we have at hand various scientific references associated with the consumption of apples, to promote long-term health. Of which we will talk in more detail, the first thing to say is that the apples are full of the most important nutrients. They stand out for being powerful nutritional formulawhich includes a high content of fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
An apple a day:
Although an apple a day It is not the key to forget about the doctoris a wise belief that invites us to feed ourselves in a more conscious and healthy. In such a way that integrating them as a important element of the daily diet, can do many things for our health y welfare.
- According to USDA one medium apple contains: 95 calories, 25 grams of carbohydrates4.5 grams of fiber, 9% of the daily value of vitamin C5% copper, 4% potassium and 3% Vitamin K. At the same time, they draw special attention due to their antioxidant power, which is a great ally for neutralize free radicals and protect us against degenerative diseases.
- Particularly The apples they are very rich in antioxidantsas is the case of compounds such as quercetin, caffeic acid y epicatechinwhich are associated with large health benefits. Among which stand out its benefits for support heart healthit has A study which shows that eating more apples is a habit associated with a lower risk of several chronic conditionsincluding the heart disease. Many of these qualities are related to the flavonoid content of apples, highly therapeutic compounds that are associated with benefits for reduce inflammation y protect heart health.
- the apples are packed with soluble fiberwhich is helpful for lower blood pressure y cholesterol levels. It is also well known that fiber is a fundamental nutrient in weight loss, promotes removal of toxins and waste and is key to good digestion.
- Contains cancer-fighting compounds, including antioxidants and flavonoids. It has a review of 41 studies in which the benefits of eating apples with a lower risk of developing
- They support weight loss, eating apples greatly increases the intake of fiber in the diet. There are references that have shown that apples promote the feeling of satietydecrease calorie intake and increase calorie burning.
- A apple a day can become a powerful formula for reduce the effects of oxidative stressprevent diseases and delay the signs of aging.
- Apples are a great ally for reduce the risk of diabetes. It has A study that supports the benefits of eating an apple a day, with a 28% less risk of developing type 2 diabetesprevent glucose spikes and improve insulin resistance.