Can an immigrant’s ex-spouse retaliate by calling USCIS to have their “green card” taken away?

Although there may have been love at first, sometimes love relationships can lead to separation, regardless of immigration status.

Even the authorities contemplate it, since when an immigrant with a conditional “green card” seeks to renew it for a permanent one, the Office of Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) asks him if he continues in that relationship or not, an element that the officers evaluate to withdraw said condition.

This step is part of the authorities’ efforts to prevent marriage fraud, but once the immigrant obtained their Permanent residenceit is difficult for them to withdraw that benefit, something that can be determined under criminal or terrorist circumstances, for example.

In separations, andhe citizen –born or naturalized– of the United States could feel spite and anger for the breakup, to the point of seeking revenge on that person whom he sponsored to obtain the “green card”but you cannot “report” your ex to USCIS just out of spite.

Lawyer Allan Wernick Director of the Citizenship Now! from the University of New York, answered a question about this fact, in the case of a man who was married for six years to a woman, applied for the “green card”, she obtained Permanent Residence, and three years later she fell in love with someone else. The man accuses that she used it and believes that he can report her.

The lawyer, in his column of the Daily Newsexplained that, unless he had solid evidence about that accusation, it was very difficult for the “affected” to do something about it.

The woman already had a renewable “green card” for 10 years, since she met the USCIS requirements for it, including the two legal years of marriage.

“That means that, unlike immigrant marriage cases who get immigration status within two years of being married, she doesn’t need your help to keep her green card.”replied the expert.

Now, yeahi a person has proof that they were “used” to obtain Permanent Residence, such as an email or a letter where the ex-partner expressly acknowledges it, then there could be a case, otherwise – advises the expert – it is best to “continue with your life”. In many relationships, love ends.